2 Abraham 33
Sarah gives Hagar to Abraham to wife. Hagar taunts Sarah and is expelled from the camp by her. An angel appears to Hagar at Beerla-hai-roi. Hagar gives birth to Ishmael.
1. Now when Sarah saw that she bare neither son nor daughter, it grieved her heart. And she said unto me: Take therefore Hagar, daughter of Pharaoh, to be thy wife, for she is a woman now. And let her come into my bed and let her womb be unto thee in the place of mine to raise up seed unto thee.
2. Hagar also was willing to enter into this covenant; wherefoere Sarah gave Hagar to be my wife, and Sarah and Hagar were as one wife unto me, that the seed of Hagar might also be the seed of Sarah. For Hagar had been raised by Sarah and been taught by her and had followed Sarah in the ways of righteousness.
3. And when I came in unto Hagar in Sarah's bed, she conceived. And when Hagar saw that she had conceived, she rejoiced greatly and began to be lifted up in pride, and to despise Sarah. And she taunted Sarah, saying: Suely I am better than thee, for in all the years thy lord hath lain with thee, thou hast not conceived, but lo, in this short time, I have conceived from the seed of my lord.
4. And Sarah was grieved in her heart, and she said unto me: Surely Hagar hath wronged me, and thou hast contributed to her wrong, for she hath spoken despitefully to me in thy presence, yet thou hast done nothing to correct her. But I replied to Sarah: Surely Hagar is thy child, for thou hast instructed her from her youth. Correct her therefore as seemeth thee good.
5. However, when Sarah attempted to correct Hagar, Hagar grew angry and determined to return unto her father's people; wherefore she departed into the wilderness. But an angel of Yahweh met her by a well where she stopped to rest, and he said unto her:
6. Hagar, daughter of Sarah, who gave thee unto her husband Abraham and took thee into her own bed that thou mightest raise up seed unto her, why art thou thus fleeing into the wilderness from the camp of Abraham? And Hagar replied: I am returning to the land of my father for it grieveth me to be bound to Sarah.
7. And the angel of Yahweh said to her: Return unto Sarah and be subject unto her, for she is given to thee to be a mother unto thee, and this seed is hers as well as yours.
8. Yahweh will multiply thy seed exceedingly so that it shall not be numbered for multitudes, and thou shalt bear a son and shalt call his name Ishmael, because Yahweh hath heard thy prayers and answered them. He will be a man of the desert and a man of war; nevertheless, many shall join themselves unto him and his people shall be great.
9. Hagar replied: What shall I say is the name of him who beareth these glad tidings? And the angel replied: Beer-la-hai-roi, for know thou that Elohim seest thee in all places whithersoever thou shalt be. And Hagar said: I know that Elohim seest me, for He hath this day sent His angel to minister unto me.
10. Wherefore Hagar returned unto the tent of Sarah and at the appointed time she bare unto me a son. And I called his name Ishmael according to the word of the angel. And I was four score and six years old when Hagar bare Ishmael unto me.
Authors: JB, LThE, SBSK et al
First created in 1990
Updated on 6 June 2016
Copyright © 1987-2016 Chavurat Bekorot All Rights Reserved
Wszelkie Prawa Zastrzeżone | Alle Recht vorbehalten