2 Abraham 38
Lot flees with his wife Ado and two daughters to Zoar. Ado turns back and is destroyed in the conflagration. Abraham causes Sodom to be destroyed. Moab and Benammi are conceived in a cave through the incest of Lot's daughters. Lot moves to Trans-Jordan.
1. When morning came, the men of Elohim hastened Lot saying: Arise, take thy wives and thy daughters who are here with thee in the house, and depart hence lest ye be consumed by the wrath of Elohim which shall be visited upon the iniquities of Sodom.
2. And while they were preparing to depart, Lot's heart being full of sorrow at leaving his daughters and his daughter's children to be destroyed, the men of Elohim took him by the hand with his wives and his daughters, for Yahweh had mercy on Lot because of his integrity, because he had not bowed down unto false gods nor entered into the abominations of Sodom.
3. And Lot thought to dwell in Zoar; wherefore he hastened there, but his wife Ado turned back unto the City of Sodom. Ado was the daughter of Eli, the son of Eliezer, which Eli had accompanied Lot to Sodom. And when Ado thought upon her parents and her daughters who remained in the city, her heart was pained within her, and she turned back unto them and was lost. But Lot entered with the rest of his family into Zoar and was there when the cities of the plains were overthrown.
4. Then the three holy men came unto me, Abraham, where I was fasting and praying nigh unto Sodom, and they lifted me up into the heavens -- whether in body or spirit I cannot tell -- and there taught me the mysteries of the Firstborn pertaining to the work to which I had been called. And I saw the creation like unto father Enoch, and I beheld the cities of the plain. And I did as I was commanded by the angels of Elohim, and the cities were destroyed.
5. And when I saw the destruction of the land my heart was sorrowful. But Yahweh said unto me: I have had mercy upon Lot and have sent him out of the city that he was not destroyed, for he was the only righteous man in all the cities. Wherefore my heart was comforted.
6. And when the destruction was over Lot feared to continue dwelling in Zoar lest it also should be destroyed. Wherefore he took his family and went into the cave of Adullam and dwelt there.
7. And the firstborn of his two daughters said unto the secondborn: Our father is old, and there is not a man upon the earth to conceive children through us. Therefore let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that his posterity shall not be cut off from the earth.
8. And they made their father drink fermented wine contrary to the commandments, which they had obtained from the Zoarites, to console him over the loss of his wife Ado and his other daughters, supposing that in their design they might do righteously by preserving the seed of their father and be justified, not comprehending the law of chastity which forbiddeth incest.
9. Therefore the firstborn went and lay with her father, doing that which is abominable in the sight of Yahweh; and Lot perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose, for he was drunk.
10. And it came to pass on the morrow that the firstborn said unto the secondborn: I lay yesternight with my father; let us make him drink wine this night also. And go thou in and lie with him that his posterity may not be cut off from the earth. And they made their father drink wine that night also; and the younger arose and lay with him. And he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
11. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father, defiling his Covenant and the generations of Lot. And the firstborn bore a son and called his name Moab, who became the father of the Moabites who, being defiled, became the enemies of the Covenant of Jacob. And the secondborn also bore a son, and called his name Benammi, who became the father of the Anmonites who, being defiled, also became the enemies of the Covenant of Jacob.
12. And Lot dwelt in the cave for five years and after that he took his daughters and his sons whom his daughters had born unto him and dwelt on the other side of Jordan. And Yahweh blessed him and prospered him and he dwelt in safety.
Authors: JB, LThE, SBSK et al
First created in 1990
Updated on 9 June 2016
Copyright © 1987-2016 Chavurat Bekorot All Rights Reserved
Wszelkie Prawa Zastrzeżone | Alle Recht vorbehalten