A50. An introduction to Personal Deliverance and Spiritual Warfare
Deeper into the Freedom and Authority of Messiah
by Deborah Peterson
One of the places in Scripture that most beautifully describes Father Yah's heart and purpose for sending Yah'shua (Jesus) the Messiah can be found in Isaiah 61:
"The Ruach (Spirit) of Yahweh-Elohim (God) is upon me,
because Yahweh has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
to proclaim the year of Yahweh's favour,
and the day of vengeance of our Elohim (God);
to comfort all who mourn;
to grant to those who mourn in Zion -
to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;
that they may be called oaks of righteousness,
the planting of Yahweh, that He may be glorified. (Isaiah 61:1-3)
Yah'shua (Jesus) (speaking through the prophet Isaiah) confirms that He was sent by Father Yah that we may receive complete healing, freedom, joy and comfort through the work He would do at the cross, with the purpose that Father Yah would be glorified!
But the Scripture also warns that there is a spiritual enemy that would do all he can to prevent this. Indeed, Satan (and his demonic minions) will do all they can to deceive and keep a person from choosing to receive Father Yah’s salvation through Messiah. If they however fail to do that, they will do all they can to deceive that soul in order to gain legal rights to operate in their lives to keep them from the fullness of healing, freedom and joy that Elohim (God) intended for them.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10)
Yahweh warns in Hosea 4:6 that [His] people are destroyed for lack of knowledge” . With this in mind, the purpose of our study will be that would be more equipped with truth so that:
- That the fullness of the healing, release and joy purposed for us in Yah'shua (Jesus) may be achieved, to the glory of Elohim (God) (Isaiah 61:1-3).
- That we would not be ignorant of the Enemy’s tactics of how he seeks to steal, kill and destroy in our lives (and in so doing be taken advantage of) (2 Cor 2:11), but rather be able to stand in truth against the schemes of the Enemy (Eph6:11-13), and to fight - not only for our own sakes, but for others as well.
As we begin, we need to begin by taking a look at what sin is, because its through sin that the enemy attacks and seeks entrance into our lives. What is Scripture's definition of sin?
“Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness (Torahlessness); sin is lawlessness (Torahlessness)” (1 John 3:4)
The enemy has sought hard to deceive Elohim's (God’s) people to believe that Father Yah's Torah (Law) is bad, and that it was done away with with Messiah’s death. Messiah Himself however said that this was not what He came to do:
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Torah (Law) or the Nevi'im (Prophets); I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them [make them complete and fulfil their prophetic promises]. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-19)
Some may ask: “What about what Paul said in Romans about the Torah (Law) being done away with?”
Like Peter said, many people have misunderstood (or twisted) Paul’s teachings (2 Pet 3:15-16). In Romans, part of Paul’s teaching was that a law doesn’t come by itself, but is always given by someone who is an owner or master over someone else. He goes on to explain that when an old master is killed or removed and the slave that once belonged to them becomes owned by a new master, they are freed from the rules, authority and power of the old master and become bound by the rules, authority and power of their new master.
Paul was teaching that our old master whom we were owned by and slaves to was Sin, and we found ourselves bound by Sin’s rule in our lives to obey it.
It was only after Sin was slain and put to death in the Body of Messiah in His atoning death and sacrifice for us that we could be set free from Sin’s rule or law over our lives, and enter into covenant with Messiah that He would become our new master and owner, and that we would be bound and empowered by His rules, authority and power in our lives. It was not Father Yah’s law that was done away with, because He wasn’t the previous master that was put to death, and so it was not His law that was done away with.
Indeed, we see Paul confirming both confirming in Romans that Father Yah’s Torah (Law) is good, and that there was more than one torah (law) that was warring inside him:
'What shall we say then? Is [Father Yah’s] Torah (Law) sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the Torah (Law). For I would not have known covetousness unless the Torah (Law) had said, “You shall not covet.”' (Romans 7:7)
“Therefore the Torah (Law) is qodesh (holy), and the mitzvah (commandment) qodesh (holy) and just and good. Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the mitzvah (commandment) might become exceedingly sinful. For we know that the [Father Yah’s] law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the [Father Yah’s] Torah (Law) that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a torah (law), that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the Torah (Law) of Elohim (God) according to the inward man. But I see another torah (law) in my members, warring against the torah (law) of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the torah (law) of sin which is in my members.” (Romans 7:11-23)
Father Yah's Torah (Law) is not bondage or death - rather it shines the light on what is bondage and death, namely Sin which is lawlessness (1 John 3:4). Yahweh’s mitzvot (commandments) have been given for our blessing and protection, and Scripture confirms that His Torah (Law) is good:
“Yahweh was pleased, for his righteousness' sake,
to magnify his Torah (Law) and make it glorious.” (Isaiah 42:21)
“Great shalom (peace) have those who love your Torah (Law);
nothing can make them stumble.”(Psalm 119:165)
“The Torah (Law) of Yahweh is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of Yahweh is sure,
making wise the simple;
the precepts of Yahweh are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the mitzvah (commandment) of Yahweh is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
the fear of Yahweh is clean,
the rules of Yahweh are true,
and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.”
“But be doers of the davar (word), and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the davar (word) and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does” (James 1:22-25)
We see in multiple time in these verses the promise that those that will trust and obey Father Yah's Torah (Law) will be blessed. This promise was given by Father Yah Himself in speaking to His people (and us):
“See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, in that I command you today to love Yahweh your Elohim (God), to walk in His ways, and to keep His mitzvot (commandments), His statutes, and His judgements, that you may live and multiply; and Yahweh your Elohim (God) will bless you in the land which you go to possess. But if your heart turns away so that you do not hear, and are drawn away, and worship other gods and serve them, I announce to you today that you shall surely perish; you shall not prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to go in and possess. I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love Yahweh your Elohim (God), that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which Yahweh swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.” (Deut 30:15-20)
Father Yah has given us both a choice, a promise and a warning - those who will choose to love Him and be obedient will experience tangible blessings, while those that would choose to sin would experience tangible curses - and those blessing or curses will not only affect our own lives, but the lives of their children as well:
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I Yahweh your Elohim (God) am a jealous Elohim (God), visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my mitzvot (commandments).”
‘And Yahweh passed before him and proclaimed, “Yahweh, Yahweh-Elohim (God), merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and the fourth generation.” ’
Except for blessings and curses that will affect our spiritual freedom, when we sin we open doors for demonic. We are warned in Scripture “not [to] give the devil a foothold.” (Eph4:27 NIV). The word foothold (some translations use the word “opportunity”) is the Greek word τόπον (topon),
which appears 46 times in Scripture. The most accurate word to translate this is “place”. Satan cannot operate in our lives without having legal rights to take up a place in our lives and souls to occupy and operate out of. He would prefer for us to be ignorant or blind to what Yah says in His Torah (Law) sin is, so we could take advantage of us (2 Cor 2:11) and be able to “steal and kill and destroy” as much as possible not only in our lives, but the lives of our children, family and communities. In the same ways as curses can be passed down through generational lines, so can demonic (and demonically enabled abilities).
Scripture testifies we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of Elohim (God) (Rom 3:23), which means all of us at some point or another have opened doors for curses and the demonic to operate in our lives. We have hope however in Yah'shua (Jesus) the Messiah!
Messiah became our Sin, and in His body our Sin was put to death on the cross. Because of this, Scripture also testifies that he took on the curse(s) that belonged to us because of our sin:
“ For all who rely on works of the Torah (Law) [to be justified] are under a curse; for it is written, “cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Torah (Law), and do them.” Now it is evident that no one is justified before Elohim (God) by [works of] the Torah (Law), for “The righteous shall live by emunah (faith).” But the Torah (Law) is not of emunah (faith), rather “the one who does them shall live by them.” Messiah redeemed us from the curse of the Torah (Law) by becoming a curse for us for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree” so that in Messiah Yah'shua (Jesus) the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Ruach (Spirit) through faith.” (Galatians 3:10-14)
With His atoning work at the cross washing away our sins, He also opened a way of deliverance for us, for with removing our sins from us through the atoning work He removed the legal rights for the demonic to operate in our lives. It means a freedom that otherwise would never have been possible for us! He then continues to give us authority over demonic in His name, because He has fully triumphed over the enemy:
'And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.” ' (Luke 10:18-20)
“ And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. ” (Col 2:13-15)
“He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of Elohim (God) was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. ” (1 John 3:8)
We see in Scripture Messiah never commissioned someone to take out the Besorah (Gospel) without also giving them authority over the demonic. It is a part of our equipping and arsenal to be able to fight the good fight in this spiritual war, so that we may be able to stand strong to the end, and be able to fight and defeat the enemy to His glory and the salvation of many.
Blessings and Curses
“Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, So a curse without cause shall not alight .”
Sources of curses
We see in Scripture that curses can come from different sources. To better understand them (and the steps that may need to be taken for them to be broken), we will take a deeper look at each.
- Elohim (God) Himself
Some of the curses that may be operating in our lives may be coming from Elohim (God) Himself. Throughout Scripture, He warns us that we have a choice either to trust and obey Him be blessed or to choose to rather sin against Him and receive curses (). A curse coming from Elohim (God) can not be broken or removed until there has been repentance before Elohim (God) for their sin, whether it be our own or generationally - only then can we ask Him to also break or remove the related curses.
Examples from Scripture of curses from God:
- Gen 12:3 - Protection of Abraham against enemies
- Deut27:15-26 - Twelve curses for breaking Father Yah's Law
- Jer 17:5-6 - For depending on flesh rather than Elohim (God) (compare Gal.3:1-3, 8-10)
- Zech 5:1-4 - For stealing and swearing falsely (perjury)
- Men on behalf of God
At times Elohim (God) may lead one of His servants to speak out a curse against the enemy. Because this is done under Elohim's (God's) authority (and not out of carnal desire) and its Elohim (God) Himself who brings the curse. When a servant is lead by the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) to speak such a curse, it can be a powerful weapon against the enemy.
Examples from Scripture of curses from men on behalf of Elohim (God):
- Josh 6:26 - Joshua regarding Jericho. See 1 Kings 16:34 to see the account of where the curse is fullfilled.
- 2 Sam. 3:28-29 - David regarding Joab
- 2 Kings 5:26-27 - Elisha regarding Gahazi
- Ps 109:6-13 - David’s prophetic curse on Judas Iscariot (see Acts 1:20; Prov 17:13)
- Mark 11:12-14, 20-21 - Yah'shua (Jesus) and the fig tree
- Persons with relational authority
We are told in Scripture that life and death (or the ability to bless and curse) are in the power of the tongue (Prov.18:21), and this is especially true or powerful in the words of people whom Elohim (God) has given position of spiritual authority in our lives.
Parents are the first example of godly authority figures that have been granted this great spiritual influence. This is deeply recognised in Scripture - this is why Rachel and Jacob were willing to go through such lengths to receive Isaac's spoken blessing (and why Esau was so enraged when he found out his blessing was stolen), and also why Jacob took special care on speaking out a blessing over each of his 12 children.
In the same way a parent spoken words carry great spiritual weight to bless their children, so their words can carry great spiritual weight to curse them. Words like “You will never amount to anything!”, “You will never be able to make it!”, “You're Incompetent!”, or “You're never going to make this job / relationship last!” all become very real curses that begin to operate in the child's life.
Teachers' words can also carry spiritual weight because of where they may carry delegated authority from parents, because the law with the present school system says that when a parent chooses to give their child over into the schools charge, that the teachers receives legal parental responsibility and authority over the child.
Finally, the words of husbands to their wives carry great spiritual weight to bless or curse, for Elohim (God) gave them the authority and responsibility to be their head in Messiah (1 Cor 11:3, Eph5:23).
If we become aware of curses that relational authority may have spoken out for our lives, we need to bring to Father Yah in prayer, and ask Him for them to be broken in Messiah's name, and for them to be replaced with His blessing.
Some examples from Scripture of curses from relational authority:
- Gen. 31:30-32 - Jacob regarding his wife Rachel (note occult involvement) - compare Gen.35:16-19
- Judges 9:19-21, 56-57 - Jothan (as representative of his father) regarding Abimelech and the men of Shechem
- Self-imposed curses
As we mentioned before, Scripture tells us that life and death (or the ability to bless and curse) are in the power of the tongue (Prov.18:21). This is applies in the words we speak out over ourselves. Some examples of this could be things like: “I'll never be able to do this”, “I'm so stupid”, “I'll always be alone”, “I'm sick and tired of this”, or “I will never allow anyone close to me again”.
If the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) makes you aware of curses you may have spoken out over yourself, repent and break it in Messiah's name. Where needed, ask either for Elohim's (God's) blessing, or verbally confirm what He already says is true in His Davar (Word). In the example of where a person may have said “I'll never be able to do this”, they may take a moment to declare Philippians 4:13 for themselves : “ I can do all things through Messiah who strengthens me! ”
Other examples of self spoken curses is where someone may make a covenant or speak a curse over both themselves and their children - we see an example of this kind of generational curse when the people of Israel took responsibility for spilling Messiah's innocent blood.
Examples of self spoken curses:
- Gen. 27:11-13 - Rebekah, taking curse due to Jacob
- Matt. 27:24-25 - Israel, regarding Yah'shua (Jesus)
- Satanic / Demonic influence
We are warned that we are in a spiritual war (Eph.6:12), and knowing this, we need to understand that one of the ways that the enemy may choose to attack us is through other people (knowingly or unknowingly) sending curses to us.
- Emotional reviling
In 1 Cor. 4:12 we see that emotional reviling or 'bad mouthing' is contrasted with blessing. As we saw earlier, people's spoken words have the power to bless or curse(Prov18:21) - in the case of where the person's words are fleshly attacks (rather than words in love in the Ruach/Spirit), these words can become curses that carry demonic backing. This is part of why we are warned that someone who may attack another saying “You Fool!” is in danger of hell fire (Mat 5:22), and why we will have to give account for every idle word spoken (Mat 12:36). Rom. 12:14 tells us our protection and reaction needs to be to bless in Messiah, and as the Ruach (Spirit) leads, we need to take up authority in Messiah to break these curses and to ask Him to protect us, as needed. . The Wrong reaction is to react with Fear or revenge. (1 Pet. 3:9)
- Planned “professional”
As opposed to emotional reviling (where those speaking the words often may not realise that they may be cursing others), there are also times when people may be purposefully sending curses against you. Just as much as we as the Body of Messiah are aware that we are in a spiritual war, so are those involved in Satanism and different forms of witchcraft, and they are actively engaged in the battle. Covens are strategically attacking both churches and individuals, actively sending curses and demonic to seek to undermine and destroy them. Thankfully, Father Yah has granted us both the full spiritual armour and authority in Messiah, to enable us both to stand strong , break and drive back the attacks of the enemy. At times when the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) may make us aware that there is witchcraft or demonic being sent against us from people involved in the occult, we need to stand in the spiritual authority of Messiah and break any curses and bind and rebuke any related demonic. An example prayer of this may be:
“In Yah'shua (Jesus) Messiah's name, I break any and all witchcraft being sent against me (or my family or church) and bind and rebuke any and all related demonic. You will not operate or attack in our lives!”
Some examples from Scripture of attack from the enemy using witchcraft:
- Num. 22:4-6, 12 - Balaam against Israel
- Acts 13:6- 12 - Elymas the sorcerer who withstood the Besorah (Gospel) - was blinded in the authority of Messiah
Forms Of Blessings And Curses
Lets look at both the blessings promised to the obedient and their children, as well as the curses to the disobedient and their children. Before we begin looking at this, something we need to understand is that not all difficulties or sickness are because of sin - indeed, Elohim (God) clearly showed that at times He might give or allow difficulties, suffering or sickness in people lives with the purpose to use it for His glory, not because they sinned (John 9:1-3; 11:14-15,40). What we need to be aware of though is sometimes sin (whether our own or generationally) can be the reason for some difficulties or sickness, and we need to seek Yahweh for clear guidance if that may be the case, so that if it is it can be dealt with so we can have freedom.
- Forms that blessings take - Deut 28:1-14
- Listening to Elohim's (God’s) voice
- Doing what Elohim (God) says
- Summed up
- God’s Favour
- Forms that curses take - Deut 28:15-68
- Not listening to Elohim's (God’s) voice
- Not doing what Elohim (God) says
- Summed up
- Mental and physical sickness
- Family breakdown
- Elohim's (God’s) disfavour
- Conditions that can indicate curses
- Mental and emotional breakdown
- Repeated or chronic sicknesses (esp. without clear medical diagnosis)
- Repeated miscarriages or related female problems
- Breakdown of marriage - family alienation
- Continuing financial insufficiency (esp. where income appears sufficient)
- “Accident prone”
Some causes for curses specifically mentioned in Scripture
Lets take a look at some of the curses specifically mentioned in Scripture. As you are reading this, the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) may bring to mind both things you yourself may have done, or things that you may be aware have been done generationally in your family (as far back as your great grandparents). If this happens, make a note of it to be able to bring it before Elohim (God) to be able to seek forgiveness and release from it.
- Idolatry - having, making or worshipping idols / false gods. (Deut.27:15). This can include a history or dabbling in false religions as well as putting something (like one's job, sex or money) before Yahweh in your life. This curse also includes having objects depicting or honouring idols in your possession (like Buddha figures, yin-yang figures, books instructing in New Age or witchcraft etc).
- Dishonouring Parents (Deut 27:16)
- Treachery (Deut 27:17, Deut 27:24) - striking down a neighbour in secret.
- Injustice to the Weak or Helpless (Deut 27:18-19) - especially true in case of abortion, as a child in their mother's womb are some of the most weak and helpless.
- Ungodly Sex, especially adultery, incest and bestiality (Deut 27:15 -23)
- Cursing other believers (Gen 12:3, Gen 27:29)
- Trusting in Man and making flesh your strength (Jer 17:5-6)
- Theft and / or Perjury (Zech 5:1-4) - curse that especially effects finances and 'making ends meet'. Examples of things that may apply in this can include 'cheating the tax man', or having had or used false licenses or ID's.
- Stinginess towards Elohim (God) (Mal 3:8-10) - withholding your tithes from Elohim (God). Along with this curse, Elohim (God) also challenges His people to test Him in this, and see if they do choose to be faithful with their tithes if He wouldn't open up the windows of heaven and pour out more blessing than they can receive. (Mal 3:10-12).
- Being conceived outside of wedlock (Deut 32:2) - unlike most other curses and sin that effect up to the fourth generation (that is, that person's great grand children), the curse of illegitimacy affects up unto the tenth generation. This curse will continue affecting the child (even if the parents got married after their conception) until its purposefully confessed and broken. This curse especially can mean a struggle for a person to feel they have a place or 'fit in' anywhere, and a struggle with intimacy and being able to fellowship with Elohim (God) and His people. It can also be accompanied with a sense of shame or rejection, struggling with a fear of failure or not being accepted (both by peers and by God), restless striving to try to succeed, and a tendency of putting up walls of self protection.
- Taking a bribe to do evil or pervert justice (Deut 27:24)
- Choosing to withhold from the needy when you are able to help them (Prov 26:27, Prov 21:13)
- Doing Elohim (God)'s (God's) work half-heartedly (Jer 48:10)
- Preaching a False Besorah (Gospel) (Gal 1:8-9)
- Legalism (Gal 3:10) - depending on your works or 'spiritual performance' rather than Messiah for right relationship with Father Yahweh
Demons and Deliverance
How Messiah handled Demons
“ Then they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught. And they were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Now there was a man in their synagogue with an unclean spirit. And he cried out,saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Yah'shua (Jesus) of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are - the Holy One of Elohim (God)! ”
But Yah'shua (Jesus) rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet, and come out of him!” And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him and cried out with a loud voice, he came out of him. Then they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him.” And immediately His fame spread throughout all the region around Galilee.”
“So he continued preaching in their synagogues and expelling evil spirits throughout the whole of Galilee.” (Mark 1:39)
Important Points To Observe
- Mark 1:27-28 - The way that Yah'shua (Jesus) dealt with demons was the most original and striking feature of His whole ministry.
- He also performed miracles of healing, Provsion, control over the forces of nature, raising the dead, etc. But all these had occurred in the ministry of Tanakh (Old Testament) believers, such as Moses, Joshua, Elijah, and Elisha. There is no account of deliverance from demonic in the Tanakh (Old Testament).
- Demons are referred to in the Tanakh (Old Testament) (see Lev.17:7; Deut.32:17; Ps.106:36-37).
- The people of Yah'shua's (Jesus's) day recognized the reality of demons, and practiced some form of exorcism (see Matt.12:27; Acts 19:13-14). But the authority with which Yah'shua (Jesus) cast out demons was completely new and different.
- Matt 12:28 - Yah'shua (Jesus) Himself described this as the open clash of two spiritual kingdoms: the kingdom of Elohim (God) and the kingdom of Satan.
- Mark 1:24-25 - At times Yah'shua (Jesus) spoke directly to demons, and they to Him (compare Mark 3:11-12; 5:6-13). But there is no New Testament pattern for holding lengthy conversations with them.
- Mark 1:26 - There were powerful physical manifestations when Yah'shua (Jesus) cast out demons. Compare:
- Mark 3:11 - They fell down before Him crying out.
- Mark 9:20, 26-27 - The boy wallowed frothing at the mouth. The demon cried out and tore him. After deliverance he looked like a dead person.
- Acts 8:7 - Similar manifestations in the ministry of Philip in Samaria.
- Mark 1:25-26 - Yah'shua (Jesus) never commanded demons to go to hell or the pit.
- Luke 8:31-33 - Yah'shua (Jesus) left demons free to enter into any other bodies that were available to them.
- Rev 20:3, 10 - There is a time ordained when evil spirits will be bound and punished.
- Matt 8:29 - Both Yah'shua (Jesus) and the demons recognized that this time has not yet come.
- Mark 1:21-26, 39
- Yah'shua (Jesus) combined His casting out of demons with His normal ministry of preaching and teaching in the public place of worship. This was nothing like the atmosphere of a Psychiatrist’s consulting room or couch.
- Luke 13:32 - Together with healing, this continued throughout His whole ministry.
- Luke 4:40-41 - At times Yah'shua (Jesus) laid hands on people who had demons (compare Matt.8:16).
- Matt.8:14-15; Luke 4:38-39 - Yah'shua (Jesus) first laid His hands on Peter’s mother-in-law, then He rebuked the fever.
- Luke 13:11-13 - Yah'shua (Jesus) laid hands on the woman with a spirit of infirmity.
- 1 Tim. 5:22 - Laying on of hands should always be done with caution. The reason for this is demonic can transfer through the laying on of hands. We should only lay hands on someone (or allow someone to lay hands on us) if we have a clear witness from the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) to do so, otherwise we should refrain.
- Mark 1:21-23; 5:6 - Normally those who needed deliverance had to submit themselves to the ministry of Yah'shua (Jesus).
- Mark 9:22-23 - In the case of a child with a demon, Yah'shua (Jesus) required faith on the part of a parent (compare Mark 7:25-30).
- Matt. 8:16; Mark 1:39 - Most of those who Yah'shua (Jesus) delivered from demons were religious Jews, forbidden ever to practice witchcraft or idolatry. They were “normal” people, neither criminal nor insane. Yet Yah'shua (Jesus) cast may thousands of demons out of them.
- Mark 5:18-21; Luke 8:1-3 - Yah'shua (Jesus) encouraged those who were delivered from demons to testify of their deliverance, and they were not ashamed to do so (compare Mark 16:9).
- Matt. 10:1-8; Luke 10:17; Mark 3:14-15: 6:12-13: 16:15-18 - Yah'shua (Jesus) never sent anyone out to preach the gospel without commissioning them to cast out demons (compare John 14:12).
Nature And Activity Of Demons
- “Devil” (Greek diablos) = Slanderer, a title of Satan himself. Used only in the singular.
- “Demon” (Greek diamon or diamonion): a spirit regarded by heathen as divine or semi-divine. Heathen religion normally cultivates or seeks to appropriate these “demons.”
- Wrongly translated in KJV as “devil” or “devils.” Used interchangeably with “evil spirit” or “unclean spirit.”(Compare Matt.15:22 with Mark 7:25; Mark 5:2 with Luke 8:27. See also Rev.16;13-14.)
- Three different Greek expressions normally used to describe the influence of demons:
- To have an unclean/evil spirit. See Matt.11:18; Mark 7:25; 9:17; Luke 4:33; 8:27; 13:11; John 7:20; 8:48-49,52; 10:20-21.
- To be in an unclean/evil spirit (Modern English - to be under the influence of) See Mark 1:23; 5:2.
- To be demonised. KJV incorrectly translates to be “possessed with devils.” There is nothing in the Greek to support the word “possessed,” which is completely misleading. “Possession” refers to something being completely taken over and 'owned'. Its not possible for a true believer to be 'possessed', for when when someone is saved they become Messiah's property, and their spirit is regenerated and completely owned by Elohim (God). It is however possible for a believer through sin to give rights for demonic to take a 'place' in their soul - namely their mind, will, desires, emotions and body (Eph.4:27). They may therefore become 'demonised' or demonically oppressed.
See Matt. 4:24; 8:16, 28, 33; 9:32; 12:22; 15:22; Mark 1:32; 5:15, 16, 18; Luke 8:36.
Nature Of Demons
- Demons are spirits without bodies. To distinguish between malakim (angels) and demons:
- Malakim (angels) normally inhabit the “heavenlies” (see Eph.6:12; Jude 6; Rev 12:7) Demons are earthbound, described as spirits of the air (Eph.2:2)
- Malakim (angels) have bodies of their own, and do not desire to occupy another body. Demons however have an intense craving to inhabit a body (see Matt.12:43-45; Mark 5:11-13). Only in this way can they gratify their evil desires and propensities.
- Demons have all the hallmarks of personality:
- Will (see Matt. 12:44; Mark 5:11-13)
- Emotion (see James 2:19)
- Knowledge (see Mark 1:23-24; Acts 19:15)
- Self-awareness (see Mark 5:9)
- A conscience too seared to respond (see 1 Tim 4:2)
- Ability to speak (see Mark 1:24; 5:7-12; Acts 19:15)
- Matt.12:24-28 - As Beelzebub (Lord of Flies) Satan rules over demons on the earth, as he rules over fallen malakim (angels) in the heavenlies.
Activity Of Demons
- Their activities may be summed up by various verbs:
- Entice (see James 1:14)
- Deceive (see 1 Tim.4:1-2)
- Enslave (see Romans 8:15)
- Torment (see 2 Tim.1:7; 1 John 4:18)
- Drive/compel (see Luke 8:29)
- Defile (see Titus 1:15)
- Demons fight against peace in every aspect:
- Inner personal harmony
- Peace of mind
- Physical well-being
- Harmonious relationships with other people, especially those closest to us
- Harmonious adjustment to external circumstances
- The great distinctive mark of demon activity: restlessness
- Demons can operate from two alternative positions:
- From outside the body
If they operate from outside, we must resist them (see James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8-9)
- From within the body
If they operate from within, we must expel them (see Matt. 8:16; Mark 1:39)
Messiah warned that when a demon is expelled, that it will try to return and take up residence again if the grounds given by sin hasn't been removed (and that person filled in that area with the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit), to be its guard and strong man) . He also warned that if it does find it can return, that that demon will bring 7 other demons more evil than itself with it, leaving the person's state afterwords worse than before. (Luke 11:24-26) This is why we must be careful to deal with the roots of what gave rights to the demonic, and not go seeking to expel them irresponsibly, either from ourselves or others, without having done so. With the authority we have been given also comes responsibility.
How To Recognize Demons
Prov 16:32; 25:28 - The “city within”: Main areas and occupants:
- Emotions, attitudes, relationships e.g., fear, resentment, hatred, rebellion
- Thoughts, the realm of the mind: e.g., doubt, unbelief, indecision, procrastination, compromise
- The tongue: e.g., lying, unclean talk, gossip, blasphemy
- Sex: e.g., sexual perversion, homosexuality, masturbation. (Note: Sex as Father Yah intended within marriage is good, not evil. It is not a sin to be tempted.)
- Addictions: e.g., gluttony, alcohol. (Note: these are branches growing from a “trunk” or deeper root of frustration or hurt that needs to be dealt with)
- Physical infirmities: e.g., allergies, tumours, fits, cramps, heart attacks, arthritis, etc.
Main ways to open doors for Demonic
Lets take a look at some of the main ways people can open doors for demonic. Like curses, demonic can also pass generationally through family lines. As you are reading this, the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) may bring to mind both things you yourself may have done, or things that you may be aware have been done generationally in your family (as far back as your great grandparents). If this happens, make a note of it to be able to bring it before Elohim (God) to be able to seek forgiveness and release from it - we will look at example of a deliverance prayer towards the end of the notes.
- Witchcraft (Deut.18:10-13, Mal.3:5, Rev.21:8) - the attempt to control another person by the use of any other spirit other than the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit). Manipulation also operates in the spirit or witchcraft. There is no distinction in Elohim's (God's) eyes between white and black witchcraft - He calls all witchcraft sin, and both open doors for demonic. Examples of witchcraft include: Spells, Curses, Hexes, Vexes, Charms, fetishes, levitation, Voodoo, Hypnosis, Mutti, being or consulting a Sangoma or Shaman, Wicca, Satanism
- Divination (Deut18:10-13) - trying to divine the future or find out hidden / esoteric knowledge. People finding themselves with the 'Psychic ability' to see into the future or read other peoples minds or 'histories' need to understand this is demonically enabled ability that can be passed on generationally. An example in Scripture of this is the servant girl who had the spirit of divination (who made a lot of money for her master's through her fortune telling) who followed Paul. Scripture notes she lost this ability as soon as Paul cast the spirit out of her, to the anger of her masters who realised they would loose their profits (Acts 16:16-20). Like the servant girl, people with who have these kind of abilities need release, and need to understand that the ability will be removed with the demonic. Examples of divination include: Fortune telling, Clairvoyance, Psychics, Palm reading, Reading tea leaves, Reading, Horoscopes, Numerology, Tarot cards
- Necromancy (Deut18:10-13, Lev 19:31, Isaiah 8:19) - seeking to communicate with the dead.
- Spiritualism (Deut.18:10-13 , Lev.19:31, Lev.20:6, Isaiah 8:19 ) - to to open one self to or to try to make connection or contact with “spirits”, directly or through consulting a medium. Examples include: Ouiji Board, Seances / Channelling, Table tipping, Seeking to communicate with 'Angels', Spirit guides, Ancestral Spirits, Totems, Automatic writing or Drawing
- Astral Projection - where the person's spirit is projected and travels outside the person's body. This is a demonically mediated ability, and a demonic counterfeit of where Paul described of person being caught up to the third heaven (2 Cor 12:1-5) and of John being caught away in the Ruach (Spirit) (Rev.4:1-2).
- Sexual Sin & Perversion
Elohim (God) created sex as a beautiful, sacred part of marriage. It is meant to bring Him glory and to be a part of Him giving a revelation of the kind of intimate, passionate relationship we are called to have with Messiah as His Bride. Scripture also tells us there is a real, spiritual joining between souls when they engage in sex (Gen.2:24) - part of its blessing and beauty when its in it's in its proper place between a husband and wife in marriage, but also the danger and damage when its abused through sexual sin. This is why we are warned in Scripture that sexual sin is different from other sin, and that we need to flee from it:
“The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Master, and the Lord for the body. And Elohim (God) raised the Master and will also raise us up by his power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Messiah? Shall I then take the members of Messiah and make them members of a prostitute? Never! Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” But he who is joined to the Master becomes one spirit with him.Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,for you were bought with a price. So glorify Elohim (God) in your body.” (1 Cor.6:13-20)
Except for the act of sexual sin itself giving rights for demonic to enter and operate, this deep principle of there being a joining of souls through sex (Gen 2:24) means a free transfer of demonic takes places between those souls involved in the process. This can mean great demonic transference and bondage (especially if the parties involved may have had multiple sexual partners that they have received demonic from, or have been involved with other deep sin).
When someone is seeking deliverance after having been involved in sexual sin, except for repenting before Messiah before taking authority up His authority to expel the demonic, they also need to ask Father Yah to break the ties or joins that were created with souls of the other parties involved - otherwise they will continue to experience bondage and spiritual oppression as the demonic will continue moving through that ungodly soul tie.
With this, we also come to the difficult question of sexual abuse. What about someone who has been the victim of sexual abuse or rape, who didn't have a choice in what they went through? These victims still have a need for deliverance and release - not because they sinned in the act (because they didn't have a choice and it's not their fault), but because of the soul join or tie that was created during the act of sexual abuse that allows a transfer of demonic from their abuser to them. Except for bringing what happened to them before Yah, and asking for the soul ties to be cut and the demonic expelled, the victim needs to make a real choice to forgive their abuser. As long as they choose to hold on to unforgiveness, they will not be able to receive full release.
(Sexual abuse can cause deep wounds in its victims, and those who have been through it may want to seek a minister or ministry equipped to lead and help them through the process of finding personal healing and deliverance in Messiah)
To continue, lets look at what Scripture says is sexual sin:
- Sex outside of marriage (fornication) (1 Cor.6:18-20, 1 Cor.7:2, Gal.5:19, Heb.13:4) This includes any sexual contact such as sharing nude pictures, sexting, or sexual contact that wasn't fully consummated.
- Sex with another man's wife (adultery) (Ex.20:14, Deut.5:18, Mal.3:5, Prov.6:32, Heb.13:4) This includes any sexual contact such as sharing nude pictures, sexting, or sexual contact that wasn't fully consummated.
- Homosexuality (Lev 20:13, Rom 1:26 - 27)
(Note in response to a question on this. As far as homosexuality, it is a complicated thing. I hope you will bear with me as I try to explain this.
To start with, we need to understand Scripture says the act of homosexuality (namely having sex or sexual contact with members of the same gender) is sin. Elohim (God) did not create anyone to be homosexual - rather He created man and women to be husband and wife, to reflect the Godhead. He wouldn't call His own design or purpose sin - that which clashes with His own original design and purpose is sin. The act of homosexuality itself will open doors to demonic which will start operating in that person, and they can begin to change and drive those person's desires and emotions
What about people who feel they are having homosexual thoughts, desires or urges they feel they can't control?
A person can be born with homosexual urges, even if they themselves never had committed the act of homosexuality (again, if their parents, grandparents or great grandparents were involved with sexual sin and opened doors for curses and demonic to operate, which in turn were passed on to them).
Sometimes, there can be deeper emotional wounds and roots to the problem - for instance where at a younger age (if they were a boy for example) they may have had issues with their mother and rejected all women. If it was a women who was abused by a man, she could have begun believing the lies that all men are evil and turn to seeking sexual love or relationship with women instead. Sometimes there may have been sexual abused at a younger age, and that could have opened doors...
So the personal roots of why an individual may be struggling with homosexual urges can be complex, and one they need to seek Father Yah Himself about. Please remember this was simply an introduction to deliverance - some people may find issues (like this one) where they will need to seek Father Yah more intensely to fully deal with the roots, to receive full healing and freedom (and there are some ministries and ministers who can help with that.)
Please understand the purpose is not to condemn the person - they are a person needing Messiah grace and love as much as any other. Rather, the purpose is to bring to light what Scripture says, so that:
- People should be careful not to go down the road of engaging in acts of homosexuality, knowing what Scripture says its sin and that it can open door for demonic to influence and oppress .
- That people who recognise Scripture says it is sin but are struggling with those kinds of desires or urges can understand there is a spiritual aspect that is causing bondage that needs to be dealt with, and that its possible for them to have full freedom in Messiah. It is meant to be a starting point to them being free. )
- Incest (Lev.18:6-18, Deut.27:22-23) - sexual relations between family members
- Bestiality (Deut.27:21, Lev.20:15-16, Ex.22:19)- sexual relations with animals
- Sex during menstruation (Lev.18:19, Lev.20:18)
- Eating blood, or engaging in rituals that require blood or sacrifice(Gen.9:4, Lev.3:17, Lev.7:26-27, Lev.17:11-14) - Elohim (God) said life is in the blood (Gen.9:4, Lev.17:11-14), which is why blood was required to make atonement (Lev.7:11). It is sacred, and why both eating blood and engaging in rituals that require blood is forbidden and an abomination to Him. The enemy feeds of the life force released in blood rituals and it opens big doors for demonisation - one of the reasons for it strongly featuring in the occult.
- Drugs, especially hallucinogenic drugs, but includes sedatives and Psychotropic drugs.
- Rebellion against godly Authority (1 Sam.15:23)- Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft in Yah's eyes. Biggest examples of is rebellion that of children against parents and wives against husbands.
- Counterfeit Gifts of the Ruach (Spirit), especially false gift of tongues - often received by hasty laying on of hands, or being 'slain in the spirit'. Many people assume that all spiritual gifts are from Yahweh. We are carefully warned to test all 'gifts' to see if they are real or counterfeit (1 Joh.4:1). We are also admonished not to let anyone lay hands quickly on us, nor be hasty to lay hands on anyone else (1 Tim.5:22).
- Having contact items in your possession - physical items that are abominations to God, often used either in the practice of the occult or in the image of or honouring idols. Examples includes: Books & DVD's used in the occult or New Age, Dreamcatchers, 'Blessed' / charged crystals used for 'healing', Items used in or for witchcraft or divination (like spell books, tarot cards or ouji board), Items dedicated to idols such as Buddha's or Yin-yang symbols, Bracelets or items from sacrifices to ancestral spirits.
- Believing Heresies: These are departures from true Besorah (Gospel)
- 1 Tim 4:1-2 - At this time “seducing spirits” will draw away believers into error.
- 2 Peter 2:1 - False teachers by underhand means will introduce “damnable heresies.”
- False religions
- John 10:9; 14:6 - Access to Elohim (God) the Father only through Messiah crucified.
- Eph2:18 - only one Ruach (Spirit) (i.e. the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit)) gives access to the realm of Elohim's (God’s) presence.
- Ex.20:3-5 - To seek spiritual help from other sources is to “have other gods” and brings judgement on succeeding generations (compare Ex. 22:18-20).
- Deut 18:9-14 - forbidden spiritual contacts (compare Is.47:12-13).
- Other Examples include: Oriental cults and philosophies (e.g. yoga), Oriental meditation (this is where they 'empty themselves and blank their minds, opening themselves spiritually - it is not the same as Scriptural meditation, which is the mindful consideration on Father Yah's Word) , Reincarnation, Freemasonry
- Ps 139:21-22 - We must decide to hate these sins and their influence in our lives.
- Acts 19:17-19 - New Testament pattern showing how believers must renounce these forbidden practices and sever all contact.
Receiving Deliverance from demonic
Nine steps to deliverance
- Personally affirm your faith in Yah'shua (Jesus) the Messiah:
- Humble yourself
- Confess any known sin (your own or generationally)
- Repent of all sin
- Forgive all other people
- Break with the occult and all false religions (this includes breaking free from all gangs and groups of people who are deceived)
- Prepare to be released from every curse over your life
- Take your Stand with Elohim (God)
- Expel and Praise Elohim (God)
Example Deliverance Prayer:
“Lord Yah'shua (Jesus) the Messiah, I believe You are the Son of Elohim (God) and the Only Way to Elohim (God) - that You died on the Cross for my sins and rose again so that I may be forgiven and receive Eternal Life.
- I now renounce all pride and religious self-righteousness and any dignity that does not come from you. I have no claim on Your Mercy except that You died in my place.
- I confess all my sins before you and hold nothing back. Especially I confess... (The Ruach haQodesh/Holy Spirit) will lead you - confess sins that may come to mind).
- Now I repent of All my sins. I turn away from them and I turn to You Master, for mercy and forgiveness.
- Now by a decision of my will, I freely forgive all who have ever harmed or wronged me. I lay down all bitterness, all resentment and all hatred. Specifically I forgive... (Forgive the people the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) brings to Mind)
- I now sever all contact I have ever had with the occult, gangs or with false religions. Particularly... I commit myself to get rid of all objects and symbols associated with the occult, gangs and false religions.
- Lord Yah'shua (Jesus), I thank you that on the Cross you were made a curse, that I might be redeemed from every curse and inherit God’s Blessing. On that basis I ask You to release me and set me free to receive the deliverance I need.
- I now take my stand with You, Lord Yah'shua (Jesus), against all of Satan’s demons. I submit to you, Master Yah'shua (Jesus), and I resist the Devil. Amen.
- Now I speak to any demons that have access to my life. (speak directly to them) I Command you to go from me now. In the Name of Yah'shua (Jesus), I Expel you, and cast you out of my life!
Four Common Reasons Why Full Deliverance Is Not Obtained
- Lack of true repentance.
- Failure to confess certain sins (particularly adultery and abortion) (see James 5:16).
- Failure to forgive others (see Mark 11:25-26).
- Failure to break with the occult (see Acts 19:25-26).
Seven Main Requirements For Keeping Deliverance
- Yield to the Lordship of Yah'shua (Jesus) in every area.
- Be continuously filled with the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit) (see Eph 5:18).
- Live by the Word of Elohim (God) (see Luke 11:13; Acts 2:4; Matt. 4:4, 7, 11).
- Put on the whole armour of Elohim (God) (see Eph 6:10-18).
- Especially the “helmet of hope” (see 1 Thess. 5:8; 1 Cor. 13:13; Rom. 8:28; Heb.6:18-20).
- Also the “garment of praise” (see Is. 61:3; 60:18; Luke 4:18; Heb 13:5).
- Cultivate right relationships
- Cultivate right fellowship. Both emunah (faith) and unbelief come through what we hear (see Rom. 10:17; Mark 4:24; Luke 8:18; Prov.19:27).
- Make Yah'shua (Jesus) central (see John 12:31-32).
This page was created on 10 February 2014
Last updated on 11 February 2014
Copyright © 1987-2014 New Covenant Ministries - All Rights Reserved