Warning Signs of Satanism
NCW 7, December 1993
Q. The "New Covenant Christian Witness" and other New Covenant Publications have brought to my attention the menace of all the many forms of satanism in the world, especially the New Age Movement. As so few Christians seem to realise the dangers of the New Age, could you summarize the main symptoms we should watch out for, especially in our children, and perhaps recommend some good books on the subject?
Texe Marrs, in his book, "Ravaged by the New Age: Satan's Plan to Destroy our Kids" (see book list at the end of this article), lists 20 warning signs which are reproduced below:
There are warning signs of satanic involvement. However, many teenagers may exhibit some of these behaviours but not be too heavily involved in Satanism. They may be dabblers. This, too, is dangerous and often leads to deeper involvement. The more these warning signs become apparent in the child's life, or the higher the intensity, the greater the extent of involvement.
- 1. A sudden or rapid change in attitude toward authorities.
- 2. A rebellious, sullen spirit towards parents.
- 3. Possession, of intense interest in, occult and magical books.
- 4. A philosophy or attitude that shows a reversal of norms; for example, bad is good and good is bad.
- 5. Animosity and cynicism towards Christianity, including God, Jesus Christ, the Bible, the Church, pastors and youth leaders, and Christian ideals and ethics.
- 6. Severe mood swings, a drop in grades, intense introspection, depression, loss of sleep, frequent nightmares, paranoia or excessive fear, restlessness.
- 7. Possession of specific Satanism-related items, which might include knives (especially daggers and knives with bizarre or medieval handles and blades), small pots, cauldrons, or incense burners; special salts or herbs; bells or gongs; tribal drums; animal parts; bones; candles; incense; amulets; talismans; charms.
- 8. Intense interest in, study of, or dabbling in New Age philosophies, practices, and rituals, such as ESP powers, spirit channeling, crystals, acupuncture, reflexology, reincarnation and karma, etc..
- 9. Morbid fascination with the dead or with death.
- 10. Self-mutilating, including marking oneself or marking with tattoos or body paint.
- 11. Black coloured clothing, when worn almost exclusively, or when combined with the wearing of jewelry, buttons, or paraphernalia with occult symbology. Also the wearing of such jewelry and paraphanalia with any clothing, T-shirts with pictures of heavy metal album covers of Satanic symbols, and black fingernail polish.
- 12. Intense interest in heavy metal rock music, including the worship or admiration or rock stars and the hanging of posters of these stars and their albums. Also, interest in New Age "mood" music.
- 13. Use of illegal drugs of any kind, or alcohol abuse.
- 14. Obsession with fantasy rôle-playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons.
- 15. Unusual body movements and effects such as twitching, tics, rocking, glazed eyes, head banging, moaning or groaning, chanting.
- 16. Lack of empathy toward the hurts in other people's lives.
- 17. Cruelty or inhumane acts against people and animals, or acts of vandalism.
- 18. Fascination or obsession with horror, slasher and occult movies, or with occult symbols.
- 19. Use of Satanic nicknames.
- 20. Fascination with blood.
Seven Steps to Overcoming Occultism and Satanic Involvement
If you discover that your children are involved in the occult, then the first thing you must do is turn to God and the promises in His Word. He can and will deliver your children from evil. For the young person involved, these seven rules are cardinal steps in eradicating all traces of satanic influence:
- 1. Confess your involvement.
- 2. Break the contact -- and contract -- with evil. Renounce your involvement by first identifying each and every act or behaviour, then stating aloud to God that your permanently renounce and cast away from your life anything connected with Satan.
- 3. Get rid of all satanic articles and items.
- 4. Ask our Lord Jesus Christ to forgive you and wash you clean of all the sins in your life.
- 5. Acknowledge to God verbally that He is your deliverer. Praise Him for your deliverance.
- 6. Pledge to obey God, to read your Bible, to pray frequently, and witness to others.
- 7. Stand daily against satan, always in the full assurance that God is almighty and that His strength is always sufficient. lean on God and He will protect, inspire, and lead you to victory in all things.
- 1. Ravaged By the New Age: Satan's Plan to Destroy our Kids by Texe Marrs (Living Truth Publishers, 8103 Shiloh Court, Austin, Texas 78745, USA, 1989)
- 2. Dark Secrets of the New Age: Satan's Plan for one Word Religion by Texe Marrs (Crossway Books, Good News Publishers, Westchester, Illinois 60153, USA, 1987)
- 3. Satan's Underground: The Extraordinary Story of One Woman's Escape by Lauren Stratford, forward by Johanna Michaelson (Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon 97402, USA, 1988)
- 4. The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow: The New Age Movement and Our Coming Age of Barbarism by Constance Cumbey (Huntington House Inc., 1200 N. Market Street, Suite G, Shreveport, Louisiana 71107, USA, 1983)
- 5. From Witchcraft to Christ: My True-Life Story by Doreen Irvine (Concordia Publishing House, The Garden House, Hothorpe Hill, Theddingworth, Lutterworth, Leics, U.K., 1985)
- 6. Deceived by the New Age: The Story of a New Age Priest by Will Baron (Pacific Press Publishing Assoc., Boise, Idaho, USA and Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, 1990)
This page was created on 18 April 1998
Last updated on 18 April 1998
Copyright © 1987-2008 NCCG - All Rights Reserved